Election to RCoA Council
Next Election to Council – Self-Nominations are open
Update at 17:00 on 22 September:
Self-nominations are now open. Visit www.cesvotes.com/rcoacouncil21
Do you want to make a difference and create positive change on behalf of your peers?
Joining Council provides an excellent opportunity to contribute to the College, influence our professional policy, and represent our members at all stages of their working lives. We are keen to achieve a diverse and representative Council and welcome applications from a wide range of candidates.
Over the past year, Council has helped lead the College’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, in which anaesthesia has been at the forefront. Council members have contributed to a huge range of vital activities including consultations, government briefings, exam and curriculum reviews, organisational strategies, championing the specialty and representing our views across the national media, and the development of key initiatives such as CPOC and our global engagement programme.
For the next election to Council there will be the following vacancies:
- six Consultant vacancies
- one SAS vacancy
- one Trainee vacancy
Successful candidates will take up their positions in March 2022 and will play a hugely important role in the working life of the College.
Self-nominations are due to open on 22 September 2021. The link for the online application will be available on this page and advertised through the College's social media and other communication channels.
The nominations window will close on 20 October.
You’ll be asked to include a 300 word election statement and the contact details and college reference numbers of three Fellows who support your application. You’ll also be asked to upload a photograph and short CV; both of these are optional. You will be able to begin your application, save it and return to it without losing your work. Please note that the election ballot will list candidates in the order their completed nominations were submitted.
- 22 September 2021: Nominations open. The call for self-nominations will be publicised on the website, via social media, in the President’s eNewsletter and the September Bulletin. Nominations will be via an online nomination platform.
- 20 October 2021 at 12 noon: Nominations close. All completed nominations must be received on the online platform by this date. Any nominations or supporting materials received after this date will not be accepted.
- 17 November 2021: Ballot emails distributed. Ballots will be sent electronically by Civica to the email address registered at the College. The ballot process will be managed and verified by Civica.
- 16 December 2021 at 12 noon: Ballot closes. Ballots must be returned by 12pm.
- 17 December 2021: Results announced. The election results will be declared via the College website as soon as possible following the ballot count. The results will also be published in the President’s eNewsletter and the Bulletin.
- 9 March 2022: New members will be admitted to their first Council meeting
There are three categories of vacancy:
There are 20 Consultant members of Council who are elected by Fellows, Associate Fellows, Members, Associate Members and Trainees. These positions are renewable. The first term of service is six years, and the second term is four years. Vacancies can arise either from resignations or after completion of a term of service. Those eligible to stand are: Fellows by examination and Fellows Ad Eundem on the specialist register and complying with the conditions of the Ordinances and Regulations.
Staff and Associate Specialist member (SAS)
There are two SAS members of Council elected by Members and Associate Members. These positions are renewable. The first term of service is six years and the second term is four years. Vacancies arise either from resignations or after completion of a term of service. Those eligible to stand are Fellows and Members of the College complying with the conditions of the Ordinances and Regulations, who, on election, are not a consultant nor a trainee. Please note that Associate Members and Affiliate Members are not eligible to stand for this position.
There are two trainee members of Council elected by those registered as trainees with the College. These positions are not renewable. The term of service for the candidate elected to this vacancy is four years. Vacancies arise either from resignations or after completion of a term of service. Those eligible to stand are Fellows By Examination, and you also need to be registered as a trainee with the College at the time of taking up your Council seat.