Update for Primary OSCE/SOE and Final SOE candidates
For candidates who achieved a pass in August’s Primary FRCA MCQ proctored examination, congratulations.
Candidates who did not receive a pass, you will be offered a free re-sit on 19 November. For these candidates, there is no immediate action required as The College Examinations Team will be in touch with you shortly to arrange your booking.
Applicants who are intending to sit the Primary OSCE/SOE examination in November and the Final SOE in December, please be aware that the College does not have the capacity to examine all potential candidates in these examinations this year due to the impact of COVID-19 and the cancellation of exams earlier in the year. We are doing all that we can to accommodate as many candidates as possible and to keep examinations running.
The College issued a statement on 26 August which was emailed directly to all candidates, placed on our website and promoted on social media advising that we would be prioritising bookings for examinations this year according to section 4 of the exam regulations. We advise that all examination applicants should read the statement, as it contains important and relevant information.
Since opening the booking windows on 28 August and 7 September, both the Primary OSCE/SOE and Final SOE examinations are already at capacity with candidates from categories A1 and A2 and those who would have sat in the cancelled sittings in May and June.
Important information for candidates
- Candidates who are not in the A1 or A2 categories, will unfortunately not be offered a chance to sit the November Primary SOE/OSCE and December Final SOE examinations.
- Therefore, if you are not in the A1or A2 categories and have not yet applied for the exams, we strongly advise you not to do so as you will not secure a place.
- On closing of the booking windows the College will confirm places with prioritised candidates. Those candidates who have booked, but not gained a sitting during the prioritisation process, will be contacted by email and their exam fees refunded in full.
- In view of the information outlined above we have taken the decision to close the booking window for the Final SOE earlier than originally planned, at 5pm on 9 October. This is so candidates will know in good time whether they have secured a place or not, and can prepare accordingly.
- For each examination sitting, the College will consider individual circumstances on a case-by-case basis, with support from relevant Regional Advisors or Head of School. Candidates should submit requests to sit by email to email@example.com for the Primary OSCE/SOE by 5pm 9 October and the Final SOE by 5pm 16 October.
Our goal is to be as fair as possible to everyone and this means that some exam sessions that would normally be open to all prospective candidates will not be available to everyone this year. These decisions have been incredibly difficult to make and we understand the ongoing disruption that will be caused as a result. However, we believe that the changes we have put in place will ensure that all those who need to sit exams during this academic year will be provided an opportunity to do so in the fairest way possible.
Dr Chris Carey
Chair, RCoA Education, Training and Examinations Board
Dr Mark Forrest
Chair, RCoA Examinations Committee