The Bulletin is the official magazine for members of the Royal College of Anaesthetists. Published bi-monthly, the Bulletin is distributed to over 18,000 anaesthetists worldwide, with the vast majority of recipients based in the UK. As it is so widely distributed, it is seen by many other professionals who work alongside anaesthetists.
If you are looking for back issues of the Bulletin, please use the search option at the top of the page.
Articles for submission, together with any declaration of interest, should be sent to the Editor, Dr Helgi Johannsson.
- Articles should be emailed in Word to email@example.com.
- Titles of articles should be no more than six words.
- The author’s full name, position/grade and hospital must be included. NOTE: The submitting author is automatically designated as the corresponding author for the article and will be used as the primary contact for approval of proofs and any queries. Their email address will also be included with the article.
- A colour headshot of each author must be submitted with the article. However, because of space limitations, if there are three or more authors only the main author's headshot will be included.
- Articles should be no more than 800 words which includes any references, further reading, tables figures or graphs. The average table, figure or graph will take up the space of around 200 words so please adjust the word count accordingly.
- All articles must include at least one high resolution photograph to illustrate the article.
- Images, including author photos, must be submitted in JPG format and be at least 270dpi in resolution (this means the file size should be around 2–3MB). Graphics and/or illustrations should be submitted in PDF, EPS or AI format. We are unable to accept images, graphics or illustrations embedded within a Word file as the quality is just too poor. Please do not submit files in PNG format.
- Tables should consist of simple text with no complex formatting and preferably with no more than seven columns. Each table, figure or graph must have a title. It is preferable to submit the original Excel file for charts and graphs so that they can be formatted to fit with the Bulletin style.
- Please declare any conflict of interest when you submit the article.
- Copy deadlines for each issue can be found below. Note that issues are planned well in advance and often (but not always) follow a particular theme. You should therefore be aware, that even though an article is submitted by the deadline, it will not necessarily be considered for that corresponding issue.
- Please spell out all abbreviations and/or acronyms within the text.
- The author should be listed first in any references, and journal titles should be abbreviated.
- All Bulletin articles will be sent to a professional proofreader prior to publication. Formatted proofs, along with the proofreader's updates, will then be sent to the author by email for approval.
- It is our aim to confirm whether an article has been accepted for publication within four to five weeks of its submission, following review by the Editor and Editorial Board.
- All contributions will receive an acknowledgement and the Editor reserves the right to edit articles for reasons of space or clarity.
- Submissions are accepted for consideration with the understanding that they have been submitted exclusively to the Bulletin of the College, who assume the copyright, patents, designs and trademarks concerning all material accepted.
- Submissions must not have been published previously in print and/or electronic media, either in whole or in part, neither may they be under consideration for publication elsewhere in print and/or electronic media.
- Submissions published, accepted, or submitted for publication may not be published elsewhere without the express permission of the College.
- The author(s) confirm that if a patient or any other individual(s) can be identified in the article either in the text or by digital medium, then the written consent of such individual(s) is obtained and presented with the article.
- The author(s) confirm they have obtained written permission for the use of any copyrighted material.
|Issue||Copy deadline||Despatch date||Delivery (approx)|
|January 2021||23 October||4 January||11 January|
|March 2021||9 December||25 February||4 March|
|May 2021||16 February||26 April||3 May|
|July 2021||16 April||24 June||1 July|
|September 2021||18 June||25 August||1 September|
|November 2021||17 August||22 October||29 October|
Letters to the Editor
Please submit letters for publication to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A representative sample of submissions will be selected, edited and included in the next available issue of the Bulletin (space permitting). Please note that the views and opinions expressed are those of the individual authors concerned and not necessarily of the College itself. Letters should be no more than 250 words which includes any references.
If you would like to advertise in the Bulletin please contact our advertising agents directly to make arrangements – see below for contact information. You can also view our rate card here for further details on costings, advert sizes and deadlines.
Century One Publishing
Mr Thomas Mayo (advertising sales)
Ms Caitlyn Hobbs (artwork studio)