Eligibility for the Medical Training Initiative
In order to be eligible for the MTI scheme, you must meet the following criteria set out by the GMC and the College:
- provide evidence of living in one of the MTI-eligible countries for the last 12 months. We will only consider you if you live in DFiD countries or Low Income, Lower Middle Income. If you live in an Upper Middle Income country we may consider you for MTI, but priority will be given to applicants from DFiD and low and middle income countries
- provide Evidence of at least three years within the last five years anaesthesia/ICM training outside of the UK and European Union
- provide evidence of a postgraduate qualification acceptable to the College;
- have your postgraduate qualification (along with your Primary Medical degree) verified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
- must not have British or European citizenship (including dual national status)
- provide a written statement of intend to return to their home country upon completing the MTI post in the UK
- not be in possession of any part of PLAB or have attempted to sit it (Please see below for further details)
- meet all the GMC requirements listed below.
The General Medical Council criteria
The GMC’s minimum requirements are:
- have a basic medical qualification acceptable to the GMC
- have completed at least one year in an internship post (pre-registration House Officer)
- have been qualified as a doctor for at least three years
- have your qualifications verified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates. More information can be found on the GMC website
- provide evidence of being engaged in medical practice for a minimum three years out of the last five years outside of the European Union, including the most recent 12 months
- provide evidence of good standing from the applicant’s local Medical Regulatory Council
- demonstrate knowledge of English by obtaining an overall score of 7.5 (with minimum scores of 7.0 in each section) in speaking, listening, reading and writing in the ‘Academic’ test of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or a minimum grade 'B' in each testing area (speaking, listening, reading and writing) in the Occupational English Test (OET). Please note IELTS and OET certificates are valid for only two years
- must not have previously failed any part of the PLAB Test.
PLAB and MTI eligibility:
- a candidate who has sat and passed part 1 of PLAB over five years ago would be considered for MTI
- a candidate who has sat and passed part 1 of PLAB between four and three years ago would be considered providing that they provide a satisfactory reason for the change in route to GMC registration
- a candidate who has sat and passed part 1 of PLAB within the last three years would not be accepted for MTI.
Country of Origin:
We welcome applications from IMGs from DFiD countries, along with Low Income and Lower Middle Income countries defined by the World Bank. Please note that as well as being from an eligible country, you will also need to meet the eligibility criteria outlined above. Also, please be aware that applicants from High Income countries will not be accepted (this includes citizens from MTI-eligible countries living and working in High Income countries).
Applicants from Upper Middle Income countries will also be considered for MTI. However, please be aware that priority will be given to applicants from DFiD and low income countries.
Eligibility Assessment (guide only)
- I plan to come to the UK to undertake training for a maximum of 24 months. Yes / No
- I am currently practicing anaesthesia in either: A DFID priority country, a Low Income Country, a Lower Middle Income Country or an Upper Middle Income Country (according to World Bank definitions). Yes / No
- I have a postgraduate qualification in anaeasthesia or Intensive Care Medicine. Yes / No
- I have been in continuous anaesthetic practice for the past 12 months and have a minimum of three years postgraduate experience which I have undertaken within the past five years. Yes / No
- I have completed the IELTs / OET and have obtained the required scores. Yes / No
If you have answered yes to all of the questions above, you may be eligible for the MTI scheme.
If you have answered no to any of the questions above, you do not appear to be eligible for the MTI scheme.