Professor Andrew Smith
FRCA, MRCP, PhD, FHEA, FAcadMEd, FFMLM
Term of office on Council
2022 to 2028
Royal Lancaster Infirmary
Professor Andrew Smith is a consultant anaesthetist at the University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, and Honorary Professor of Anaesthesia and Perioperative Medicine at the University of Lancaster. He is also Director of the Lancaster Patient Safety Research Unit at the trust. He graduated from the University of Newcastle in 1988, trained in general medicine and anaesthesia in Manchester, and took up his consultant post in 1998.
Andy’s clinical interests include ‘awake’ airway management and regional anaesthesia. He received a Foundation Award from the Association of Anaesthetists in 2017 in recognition of his contribution to patient safety and education in anaesthesia.
Outside work, he likes playing and listening to most types of music, cycling, fellwalking and trail running
If he wasn't working in anaesthesia, he might have ended up doing something involving foreign languages and European travel.
Register of Interests
- Performance Assessor for the General Medical Council. Assessors are paid a standard fee for this occasional work
- Editor for Anaesthesia, the journal of the Association of Anaesthetists, and receives an honorarium for this
- Co-ordinating Editor for the Cochrane Anaesthesia Review Group (unpaid)
- Has received research funding from the UK National Institute of Health Research and the European Society of Anaesthesiology
- Provided product development advice to a company manufacturing airway devices in 2019 and 2020 and received payment for this. Has no other commercial interests or connections.