2021 Curriculum learning syllabus: stage 1
This guidance was reviewed on 1 February 2023
These pages will be reviewed and potentially updated no later than 31 January 2024.
If you would like to contact us, you can email the Anaesthetics Curriculum and Equivalence Team on email@example.com or call on 020 7092 1550.
Please let us know what you think. If you feel the information on this page could be improved, please get in touch with us.
Structure of contents
Each of the 14 domains of learning includes the following:
- Stage learning outcome
This is the learning outcome that anaesthetists in training will need to meet in order to get the domain signed off at the end of this stage.
- Key capabilities
Anaesthetists in training will need to demonstrate attainment of all key capabilities in a domain of learning to meet the learning outcome for this stage.
- Examples of evidence
These are examples of evidence that can be used to show achievement of key capabilities.
It is not intended that they are all completed but they are examples of what can be presented as evidence. A single piece of evidence can be used for a number of different capabilities across various domains and are not necessarily exclusive to the stage of training listed.
This is not exhaustive and other evidence may be used if thought appropriate by the trainer.
- Cross links with other domains and capabilities
Supervised Learning Events or personal activities can be logged to multiple key capabilities in a variety of domains of learning, as appropriate. This section suggests which domains should be considered when recording learning opportunities.
The contents of the learning syllabus can be downloaded in the form of the HALO guides. You can download a copy of the stage 1 HALO guide here.
17 March 2021
- Key capabilities re-clustered and re-lettered for: Perioperative Medicine and Health Promotion; General Anaesthesia; Regional Anaesthesia; Resuscitation and Transfer, and; Procedural Sedation.
- Suggested supervision levels added for: Perioperative Medicine and Health Promotion; General Anaesthesia; Regional Anaesthesia; Resuscitation and Transfer; Procedural Sedation, and; Pain.
- Key capability removed: Describes the principles of end of life care - from Perioperative Medicine and Health Promotion.
26 May 2021
- Inclusion of link to HALO guide (above) and Practical Procedures Grid (final chapter).
- Updated examples of evidence for: Pain (key capabilities A to C and key capabilities D & E).
- Updated suggested supervision levels for: Regional Anaesthesia (key capability F), and; Intensive Care (key capability K).
- Updated cross links with other domains and capabilities for: Team Working; Perioperative Medicine and Health Promotion (key capability N); and Intensive Care (key capability I).
22 July 2021
- Supervision level for Procedural Sedation changed from 2b to 2a.