Taking the written exams online - guidance
IT system requirements
The minimum system requirements for remotely invigilated exams are:
- A laptop or computer running Windows 7+ or Mac OS 10.8+ only
- Intel Core i3 (or equivalent) and 4GB RAM (you must have permissions to install software.)
- A working webcam
- A working microphone and speakers.
- Good continuous internet speed - absolute minimum 15mbps (25mbps or higher recommended)
- We also recommend a screen size of at least 13" and a resolution of 1024 x 768. Multiple screens are not permitted.
- You cannot use a mobile phone, Tablet, Chromebook or Surface Pro.
A quiet, secure environment – a room where you can take your exam on your own without interruption. We do not recommend that candidates sit in their hospitals due to issues with internet connection.
Your mobile phone. This is for registration/technical support purposes only and must be placed out of reach once the exam has started.
Official ID - passport, UK driving license or other ID as agreed with the Examinations Department at the RCoA.
One blank sheet of A4 paper for making notes
No smart watches or other electronic devices are permitted in this examination.
Candidates are permitted to use the onscreen calculator.