Stage 1 equivalent training guidance
Stage learning outcome
- Performs simple peripheral nerve blocks and performs spinal anaesthesia and lumbar epidural anaesthesia/analgesia independently
Experience and learning requirements
- Able to use ultrasound to perform simple peripheral nerve blocks and femoral or fascia iliaca blocks with supervisor within hospital for queries, able to provide prompt direction/assistance (supervision level 2b).
- Additional obstetric regional anaesthesia experience including ASA 3 parturients (supervision level 3).
- Some experience with other regional anaesthetic blocks such as upper limb and chest and abdominal wall (supervision level 2a).
Examples of evidence
Supervised Learning events (SLEs) can be used to demonstrate:
- use of ultrasound for a range of regional techniques
- simple nerve blocks and femoral or fascia-iliaca blocks at supervision level 2b
- experience of other regional techniques such as:
- upper limb, chest or abdominal wall blocks (supervision level 2a)
obstetric regional anaesthesia (supervision level 3)
Examples of SLEs may include:
CBD of the management of complications of regional anaesthesia
A-CEX involving the management of an inadequate block for operative delivery.