2021 Curriculum learning syllabus: stage 2
Management and Professional and Regulatory Requirements
Stage learning outcome
- Understands and undertakes managerial, administrative and organisational roles expected of senior anaesthetists in training
Appreciates and participates in the organisation of anaesthetic services within the structure of local hospital management and links to regional tertiary level services
Applies legal and ethical guidelines to their medical practice, including the legal requirements of consent and shared decision making
Engages with the departmental management structure and processes required for the delivery of perioperative and anaesthetic services.
Works effectively in the digital environment relating to patient care
Examples of evidence
Experience & logbook:
- involvement with Anaesthetic Departmental activities.
Supervised Learning Events (SLEs) can be used to demonstrate:
- ability to use hospital investigation IT systems, electronic prescribing, electronic medical records
- participation in patient advice and decision making pathway in pre-operative assessment
- obtaining consent for procedures.
Personal Activities and Personal Reflections may include:
- management of a project in the anaesthetic department such as a teaching programme, QI project, rota administration for anaesthetists in training
- attendance at departmental business meetings
- courses or e-Learning: NHS structure and management, NICE guidance on shared decision making.
Cross links with other domains and capabilities
- Safety and Quality Improvement
- Education and Training
- Perioperative Medicine and Health Promotion